Thursday 6 August 2020

Andreivia, land that I love

I read in a magazine once that the average wargamer spends around 90% of their painting time on their armies and only 10% on terrain. I think that I would probably be more a 95% - 5% split. Nevertheless, a fictional army needs a fictional country to defend, so I've been working on a few buildings for Andreivia.

The cathedral of St Andrew in the capital, Tcherbervan. This is a Russian church from Leven. I've added a fountain and plinth, both also Leven, plus a grave of a noted Andreivian hero or martyr, from Perfect Six. I copied the simple, monotone colour scheme from online photos of Armenian churches - many of which are quite beautiful. I have based it on embossed plasticard, to give the surroundings a paved look.


Andreivians are Greek in origin and were part of the Eastern Roman Empire, so I wanted to reflect that. This is a bit of tourist tat that I bought in Athens and has been repurposed as a ruin. I filed off the "Athens" at the front and covered it with flock. I added a few more Leven plinths to the base. At some point I may acquire a pair of 10mm Romans, cut their heads & arms off and add them to the plinths. In Maurice, built up areas occupy 10 cm squares so that is the common base size I have used. I might go back and round off the corners of this one.

Finally for now is a small village. These are the first buildings that I painted when I got back into the hobby, in 2010. They also represent the entire H&R building range, being their large and small farmhouses and Eastern European houses. I recycled them and added a few barrels and pots from Perfect Six then added textured paint and a few different flocks to the base. All very quick. M'colleague Neil has made some villages already, so I've tried to match with his. I'll find out if I have succeeded when we next meet up. 

I hope that was of some interest. Next in the pipeline are town houses for Tcherbervan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment