Wednesday 13 September 2023

Panzer Marsch!

 It's the annual Cold War Commanders big gaming weekend this weekend, held for the first time at Richard P's own venue, The Unit in Stone, Staffordshire. I've been getting a few units ready for the event.

Last year I was asked to put together a recce battalion for a game. I liked that unit so it has now been stood up as a permanent formation:



The first company is 2 platoons of foot scouts and a Milan team, transported in a pair of Fuchs. I've used arrow headed bases for the vehicles to denote recce, a useful convention on a busy battlefield as well as pleasing to the eye.


Next company is 3 Luchs with a Leopard 1 in support.


The final heavy recon company consists of 4 Leopard 1. These will be classed as Recce Support. Apologies for the poor photos, the light conditions aren't that great. It was fun deploying the company in full though I can't see that happening too often. 3 HQs may be a bit of overkill but the intention was to help the battalion cover as much ground as possible.

For the last 10 years I have been using these Leopard 2s:

Most of our games have been set in 1985 though and I keep getting told that these are 2A5 and so not available for '85.

I decided that it was time to replace them so I now have a new battalion of Leopard 2A3 or A4.

I've taken the time to add Balkan Crosses to all of them though they are hardly visible on the gaming table. I know they're there though.

Finally for now and not for this game we have these:


I'd watched a Tank Chat on YouTube about the Scimitar 2 and seen an example on a recent visit to the Tank Museum so decided to have a bash making some. They are a simple conversion of a Striker hull filed down a bit with a Scimitar turret added - the real things are basically the same conversion with a Spartan hull mated to a Scimitar turret. In real life they've seen action in Afghanistan, are deployed as part of the NATO "tripwire" in the Baltic States and I believe that some are on the way to Ukraine. Not sure when my lads will see any action but they were a fun little conversion. I can't help wondering how their performance compares to the Ajax; not seen any reports of anyone developing tinnitus after riding around in one of these.

Next up shall be an AAR from The Unit. Looking forward to it now.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent I have have a Bundeswehr recce battalion and it's interesting to see the way you have organised it as I have done 3 mixed companies with Leopard, Luchs and Fuchs TPZ in each company. Like the Scimitar 2 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr P. I based the recce battalion on the Fire and Fury TOE. This formation is from the Heeresstrucktur 4 from 1980. I think your organisation is from Heeresstrucktur 3. F&F notes that some battalions continued with the old organisation for some time. So I think either force structure can be used for our era.

      Delete