Saturday 15 June 2024

They Want You For A New Recruit

 After spending the first part of the year painting stuff for Crisis Point, I've been off on a tangent lately, starting with another Star Wars ship, The YT-49 Decimator:


To date, it hasn't appeared in any film or TV series but was in a video game. In reality I think that they needed an Imperial equivalent of the Millennium Falcon for one of the games. It appears in the X-Wing minis game but this is a 3-D printed one.


I decided that, as a military ship, it needed some markings so got some Imperial transfers off eBay. Compared to the other ships I've made it's an absolute beast, but compared to it's supposed dimensions is again sort of 6mm (and, as a bomber, could be used for close air support...)

For our JoS game, we are planning on a large Prague 48 game, set around the fictional city of Stary Boleslav. This would feature a bridge for the Soviets to capture, which means that there'll be a river. This started me off thinking of minis that could be used on the river and that started me on some boat minis that I have had knocking around for a while:



A couple of US PT boats from Cruel Seas that came free with an issue of Miniature Wargames and a Fairmile D from H&R. I think my original idea was for the Fairmile to be a patrol boat for the Turkish navy, which is why I cut the torpedo launchers off. There's no reason at all why any of these boats would be on the River Elbe in Czechoslovakia in 1948 but I really like them all the same. This has started me on a bit of a naval obsession. I think that I could get into Cruel Seas on the basis of the miniatures alone and now have half-baked ideas of a 1980s Aegean Sea Turkey Vs Greece flare up. Hold that thought.

One ship that might actually find a place in our JoS game is this little tugboat that I bought from Shapeways some time ago:


Not much to say about this other than it's been on my paint station for about 5 years so I'm glad that it's finally done. I thought that I'd painted it in a generic nautical scheme but it turns out that I've painted it like a Mersey ferry! Some subliminal suggestion at work obviously.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent 👍 Love the tug boat. I can see it moored in some Icelandic harbour somewhere 😉

    ReplyDelete